Saturday, April 27, 2013

Holding My Anger Like A Baby




Thich Naht Hanh says that our anger is a part of us -- just like our kindness is a part of us.  Because our anger is a part of us, we need to be gentle with it.  This means we don't ignore it, and we certainly don't pretend it isn't there.  Underneath our anger is our suffering.  

He says we should hold our anger like a mother holds a baby.  When the baby starts to cry, and the mother picks him up and holds him tenderly, the baby feels the tenderness and begins to calm down.  When we are tender with ourselves and our anger, we allow ourselves to feel it for as long as we need to.  When we are ready, we will let it go. 






This really resonates with me.  I haven't been very gentle with my anger.  I sometimes scold myself.

I say things like, "Wildflower, how can you still be so angry, when Mr W just did the dishes and went to 12 step?"

Or I minimize my anger like this, "Wildflower, you are probably overreacting again, and you should just get over it."

But, when I push my angrish back down, it always resurfaces.  I acknowledge that despite my dreams on my wedding day, my marriage has brought me a lot of trauma and betrayal.

I am choosing to stay in my marriage, because my husband is choosing recovery.  I am also choosing recovery for myself.  Part of my recovery is working through my grief, and part of that grief is my anger.   



The way I happened upon this concept by Thich Naht Hanh was definitely an answer to my prayers.  This feels true, like this is God's method.  He cradles me in tenderness and love when I am angry, sad or both.  This tenderness enables my negative emotions to dissipate.  I feel loved just as I am.  This helps me become ready to surrender the dark feelings to Him.  The atonement of Christ enables me to let go of anger and resentment and to work toward forgiveness.


So for now, when my anger appears, I will pick it up and rock it gently.  I will sit with it.  And like all babies, it will eventually move on.
















Some things I found out about Thich Naht Hanh

Thich Naht Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, writer, teacher, and peace activist, born in 1926.  In the 1960's, he organized a grassroots relief organization in Vietnam that rebuilt bombed villages, set up schools and medical centers, resettled homeless families, and organized agricultural cooperatives.  He had over 10,000 student volunteers in this organization, and they followed the principles of non-violence and compassionate action.   Although the government denounced his activities, Hanh founded a university, a publishing house and a peace activist magazine.

After visiting Europe and the U.S. on a peace mission in 1966, he was banned from returning to Vietnam.  He met with Martin Luther King in 1966, and he was influential in King coming out publicly against the war, which strengthened the peace movement.  In 1967 MLK nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize.

He has spent his life teaching peace and mindfulness.  He now lives in France.

He has some great videos on youtube.  Oprah interviewed him a while ago, and that interview is really interesting.  (This link is to only part of that interview). He has written over 100 books, 40 of them are in English.











7 comments:

  1. Awesome. I love this. Cradle my anger like a baby....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome. This is timely for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes sense to me....I have tried the whole repression thing....and the anger ALWAYS comes back. I am going to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this is the truth. there have been a million times I've had to nurture hard feelings...even now, as today I'm feeling some rage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. Thich Naht Hanh has been on my "to read" list since I started in recovery. I first learned of him through the writings of Sue Monk Kidd and Henri Nouwen--two other writers who have helped me see things from a different perspective. Too many books, too little time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Wildflower:) I love the thought of God cradling me in tenderness and love when I am angry, sad or both. This is so true! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the words of Thich Naht Hanh, so heartfelt, genuine, and transcends all belief systems, cultures, theologies, etc, as well as rooted in our shared humanism and life force.

    ReplyDelete