Tuesday, April 23, 2013

ANGRISH 101



Last weekend I was in an emotionally fragile state, when my husband abruptly changed our much-anticipated (at least for me) Saturday plans.  It was five minutes before we were supposed to leave, and he decided to do something that he felt obligated to do, for people that are minimally connected to our lives.  The timing was such that we couldn't do both.

If I were a normal person in a normal marriage, I suppose I could have "rolled with it."  But, I ain't in no normal marriage.  It brought back memories of the flakey and checked-out husband I lived with for years, who did what felt good to him, regardless of how it affected our family.  I cannot live like that now.  I need security and constancy.  This is part of building trust in our marriage.







I was indignant, far beyond what I knew was reasonable for the situation.  Since the major trauma 13 months ago, my brain has a very short fuse.  From what I've read, this is part of the trauma response.  I seem to go from 0 to 300 amu's (anger management units) in a matter of seconds.   My emotions are on a hair trigger.

Not only does my anger flare more quickly now, it also reaches far deeper.  The anger spans out to that deep place where it meets the pain.  It's like the trauma gouged out a canyon of pain inside me, and the anger crashes in like a river to fill it up.

This anger and anguish blend together into one suffering concoction that I call Angrish.   I know  anger is a secondary emotion, and I use it like a salve to medicate my anguish.  I wish it were a more effective medicine.

On Saturday, after I had soaked in my anger for several hours, I surrendered it to God, another person and a sticky note in my surrender bag.  That surrender process is a living, breathing thing, and it works.  With the anger out of the way, I broke down and cried like a baby for hours.  It felt sort of good to let go and be sad.  I know I am still grieving.

I am working my recovery every day, and I am learning to accept my feelings as they come.  My angrish cannot be glossed over or forced away or ignored.  These are my honest feelings, and they need my attention before I can be done with them, and they can ride off into the sunset.







Next post I will share an idea about handling tough emotions from a Vietnamese Buddhist monk.  He treats his anger like a baby, and it's brilliant.  Stay tuned.









4 comments:

  1. a canyon where a river of anger can easily run through it....that is such a great way to describe it!! Looing forward to the next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the short fuse and the anger issues, as well. I look forward to what you will be sharing about how to handle it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The anger spans out to that deep place where it meets the pain. It's like the trauma gouged out a canyon of pain inside me, and the anger crashes in like a river to fill it up."
    You nailed it--and expressed it beautifully! Where the anger meets the pain--I'd never thought of it like that but I think you are right. I've felt it and it is powerful. I love the way you handled it. Thanks for the reminder on surrender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great, great, great post :) I can't wait for the monk thing -seriously!

    ReplyDelete