Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Guess I Was A Thief




In the next few days, a manager of a grocery store, in the town where I went to college my freshman yr, more than twenty years ago, will receive a letter from me.  Enclosed is a $5 bill and an apology.

I spent some time that year browsing the bulk food aisles with my roommates.  It was my first introduction to bulk food, and I loved it.  I still love it, actually.  There is something fun about scooping any amount of anything into plastic bags.

My friends and I sampled A LOT of bulk candy back in the day.  And, like I told my kids when I related the story to them the other night, no, I did not pay for it!   My kids were shocked.

It was kind of a game that we called "bulking."  For example, when it was late, and we were looking for excitement, one of us might suggest, "You know, we could always go bulking."  I didn't feel great about it then, but I didn't feel that badly about it, either.




This 12-step soul-scouring is really getting to me.  Things are coming to my mind that I haven't thought about for a long time.  Things I did years ago.  I feel like I am figuratively deep cleaning my past with an old toothbrush.   I wonder what will surface next?







4 comments:

  1. I am sooo not looking forward to this step in my recovery process...it is a lot easier to look/focus at my husban's faults....good job on your part!!! ps I am going to send you an email this week when I get a chance, we have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Things are coming to my mind that I haven't thought about for a long time." This is SO true. As I work the 12-steps the Lord is bringing things to mind my mind that I had long forgotten about. It has been embarrassing and painful at times, but SO necessary.

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be facing this soon... it is scary. But, I try to tell myself as I trust God, then all will be well in the end.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete