Monday, March 11, 2013

You Can Still Have Fun With Shortened Telomeres


I flew away from home today, by myself.  I am meeting up with some old girlfriends, for the sole purpose of some F.U.N.  In over a year, this is my first attempt at relaxation and recreation for more than a single day.  Just saying that gives me anxiety.

Within seconds of takeoff my eyes filled with tears.  I stared out the window and let the them flow.  What the heck?!  Why am I crying?

Some possibilities:
Am I just grateful to have a break from my daily life?
I know I am thankful that I am NOT where I was emotionally last year.
Is it going to be possible for me to relax?
I feel like I have been wound so tight for so long, I don't even remember how to relax.
Will the creases between my eyebrows go away?
Will I be able to sleep all night?
Will my tight neck and shoulders still feel like granite when I get back?
Can I dump all my sadness and worry in God's hands for a few days and live it up?

A few years ago I read about an interesting study.  The research looked at the effect of chronic stress on our chromosomes.  Apparently, we have parts of our chromosomes called telomeres.  As we age our telomeres naturally shorten.  The researchers measured the telomeres of mothers, whose children had cancer.  They measured these poor mothers' telomeres at the beginning and at the end of the ordeal.

The findings were not surprising.  The mothers' telomeres had shortened significantly more during their children's cancer than the control group of women of similar age.  The chronic trauma, worry and stress had changed the very core of the genetic material in every cell of their body.

I don't know anything about what it feels like to have a child with cancer.  My heart goes out to those who do.

But, I feel changed down to my cellular level by my life's experiences.  I'm guessing that being the wife of a sex addict and the mother of a sex addict can shorten telomeres, too.  I'm guessing a lot of things can.  My thoughts go to one of the friends I am meeting; she is mourning a suicide in her family.

Could that be why I'm crying?  Because I feel ragged and roughed up by life?  Because I have been profoundly hurt and stretched beyond all my previous capacities?  And yet, I am still alive and OK.  I am learning to trust God more with my life.  I have a lot of living left to do.  Maybe even a lot of fun left to have?

A wise recovery friend says, "Don't let your husband's addiction ruin the things YOU love."  Thank you for the advice.  And so, with my shortened telomeres, I am off to have some F.U.N.!



4 comments:

  1. Wow... interesting! I am sure my telomeres are shriveled by now.

    I hope you have an amazing Vacation:) Just focus on you, God, and the F.U.N! You are inspiring me to want to break free and go do something relaxing.

    Sending prayers your way and cyber HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend getting away to everyone! It's a good reminder that the world is bigger than our own little world. There is a lot of joy to be had out there.

      Delete
  2. Did you have fun? I'm going to Google telomeres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I had a lot of fun! Everyone should go away for a while. I came back with new energy to deal with life!

    ReplyDelete