Friday, December 19, 2014

"Were you ever addicted to it, Dad?"



The other morning my ten yr old climbed into bed with us to get warm. I don't know how it started, but I do know that he didn't bring up the topic of masturbation. I did. After I explained what it was, I said, people can become addicted to masturbating, just like other things. He looked really surprised by this. My husband hadn't said much up to this point, but my son looked right at him and said,

"Were you ever addicted to it, Dad?" 

We froze for a second, weighing in our minds what to tell him. I decided to blaze ahead with openness. I nodded and raised my eyebrows for added effect. Then my husband bravely said,

"Ya, I was. I used to be." 

"Huh." 


We went on to talk about why we have sexual feelings and and how movies and TV tell a lot of lies about sex being the same as love. The best was that THERE WAS NO SHAME in this conversation. And while I wouldn't say it was easy, it wasn't unnatural or strained.

If a miniature, invisible Richard or Linda Eyre had been sitting on my shoulder, I think they would have approved. Yes, this was a small moment. But, it was a big moment in our parenting. Eventually, we will tell this kid more of the story. I am hoping and praying that moments like these will break the intergenerational story of addiction.



"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing." Edmund Burke


2 comments:

  1. Wow awesome job. I love how you were so open to talk about masturbation with him and when he point blanked asked about his dad, you were honest. I agree, the shame needs to be obliterated! You can be open without sharing the details. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This post is amazing- exactly the kinds of conversations I want to have with my son someday. Now I know it's possible. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete