Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Brain Full Of Jelly Bellies And An iPhone In The Toilet

A few days ago I had a day where the gaping jaws of hell were out to get my family, or at least it felt like it.

It was primarily about one of my sons and the shocking impulsivity of his teenage brain, which appears to contain nothing but jelly bellies.  As I was reeling from some of his decisions, I began to mentally ask myself two questions:

"What are the worst case scenarios that could happen to him if he continues on this crooked path?"

"Could I handle them if they happened?"

I mentally listed out some miserable places I could imagine him winding up (I am NOT talking about not making the honor roll here), and I discovered, that even though I would cry buckets of tears, because I really, really love this kid, I can accept where his choices could lead him.

I have to have hope that God is watching over him, and that this life is long, and that it's never too late for anyone to change.  I have to have faith that the Atonement of Christ will enable all of us to do what we could never do on our own.  Without all that....well, I got nuthin.

Except.....a working iPhone!  It dropped into the toilet on this same atrocious day.  Dropped with a splash and a scream of horror.  And I thought, "Of course.  Of course this would happen today.  How could it not?"

But when I touched the screen, it lit up! After a thorough Clorox wipe down, the phone is even better (cleaner) than it was before.  I choose to believe it was a little gift from God, letting me know He's there and reminding me that although things could always get worse, they could also get better.










1 comment:

  1. It's good that you can see the blessings in the midst of the struggle! Things can get better.

    ReplyDelete