Friday, July 26, 2013

My Love Faileth



This picture somehow makes me want to throw up.

I'm reading about the attachment theory of love.  For several months, I have been bewildered and somewhat ashamed about my lack of loving feelings toward Mr. W.  I mean, I was wholeheartedly in love with the guy when I married him, so why is my love now so conditional?   What about true charity that never faileth?

The attachment theory of love is shedding some light on why I feel the way I do.

Attachment theory views emotional bonds and emotional responsiveness as the basis for love and loving. We have an inborn need for safe emotional connection and when we don't get it, the human brain hits the panic button and all hell breaks loose.




"Distressed partners may use different words but they are always asking the same basic questions, 'Are you there for me?  Do I matter to you?  Will you come when I need you, when I call?'  Love is the best survival mechanism there is, and to feel suddenly emotionally cut off from a partner, disconnected, is terrifying.  We have to reconnect, to speak our needs in a way that moves our partner to respond.  This longing for emotional connection with those nearest us is the emotional priority, overshadowing even the drive for food or sex.  The drama of love is all about this hunger for safe emotional connection, a survival imperative we experience from the cradle to the grave.  Loving connection is the only safety nature ever offers us."  

Sue Johnson, Hold Me Tight, pg 47


This resonates with my innards.  If the drama of love is indeed all about this "hunger for safe emotional connection",  then that explains why my love-well for my husband runneth low at times.

For my entire marriage I hungered for this emotional safety.  I had had good attachments as a kid, so I knew what that felt like.  When Mr. W and I were connected, I was able to give and receive love, when we were disconnected,  I COULD NOT DO EITHER.   A sort of panic ensued inside me.

Solid love couldn't  exist when our emotional bonds were fraying and inconsistent.  The addiction cycle kept our love, not just our connection, in a constant state of flux.  As Sue Johnson explains, I was, in all different ways, asking him, "Are you there for me?"  And when he didn't reassure me, my brain careened into primal panic mode, because I, like every human, am wired for connection.


Therefore, what happened to our love when Mr. W dropped his A-bomb in 2012 should not surprise me.  Our flimsy but well-intentioned emotional bonds were instantaneously demolished.   Who am I kidding, I was also pretty much demolished!   When the dust settled, I was holding commitment, responsibility and very little love.  Now I understand why.


Attachment theory also explains why addiction in a marriage results in less love in the relationship.  Yeah, lust and love can't coexist, but it's more than that.  Attachment theory would say that addiction and the associated emotional disconnection are what make it impossible for the addict to truly love their family; because the basis of love is emotional connection, not attraction, not loyalty, not commitment, but emotional connection.

So, that's as far as I am in the book.  Good stuff.  Thank you, Dr. Sue Johnson, this has been my least expensive therapy session ever.


13 comments:

  1. I've been reading "Attached" which talks about the same stuff! Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading "attached" as well, but this book sounds really good also! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I need to read both books. Thank you, I needed to read this. It helps me full in the gaps with the little things I'm finding wrong in the Love Dare! Also, I live that you said that picture makes you want to throw up. Hilarious! I feel that way too sometimes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I think I need to read 'Attached' after this one. This disconnection stuff I have felt for a long time, but it was hard to put my finger on exactly what it was. Now I am seeing things more clearly.

      I haven't read Love Dare, should I?

      Delete
    2. It depends. There are days I really struggle with it because I'm caught up in the fact that he is a sex-addict and he should be serving me rather than me serving him. That's a bad attitude on my part. It has been really good for me, though. Pure love has been lacking in our marriage because of the anger and resentment. The Love Dare has helped me focus more on him and his needs and just loving him. It has definitely softened my heart, and as I have been more love and service-oriented, it's softened his too. It's hard sometimes, but I really think its worth it. On the days where I really need to focus on me, and not him, I just don't do it. It's 40 days, and it's taking me way longer than 40 because of my days off. I has also helped me turn things over to God more too.

      Really long answer, but basically I think if you really want to be more service oriented in your marriage and push past the hurt to give love, do it. You may have to set some boundaries or tweak the dares to also meet your needs, but it has helped me grow a lot and increased the level of love and emotional intimacy in our marriage simply because I'm looking to serve more, which is softening us both.

      Hope that gives you a good idea :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for nailing the issue so clearly! I need to read that book. My husband needs to read that book. He interprets my pulling away as being selfish and controlling. I keep asking for transparency and truth and all that come back are isolation, denial and further detachment. A vicious, horrid cycle. Thanks for the perspective and clarity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is validating to learn a reason why we naturally have pulled back from emotional connection with these addicts. I was also told many times how selfish and controlling I was. Not fun.

      Hang in tooold!!

      Delete
  5. I think it's a little like how you can't fully love another until you first love yourself. And addict (and codependent for that matter) has a damaged sense of love. The addiction has robbed them of their sense of self-love. They have used the addiction to detach from their selves so long that although they may love another truly and deeply, it is in a different form. They are not able to emotionally attach because they do not have that in them until they heal the addiction and self. The good news is, that it is possible. It is miraculous to watch that change. One of those things where you don't realize what you've missed out on really until you get on the other side of it. But man is it hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do feel like i have a damaged sense of love. And I do think there is hope of coming out on the other side of all this! Thank for stopping by and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I looked up both these books...I kinda want to read them as well. I looked up the "Hold Me Tight". Is it more geared towards married couples?? The book Attached looks good as well. i may get them both.

    Very interesting post on lust vs love and also how the initial trauma can destroy the emotional connection. The emotional connection is what addicts want to....but we are super warped on how to get it...

    thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold Me Tight is definitely geared toward married couples. And the author says at the beginning that it is for couples that do not struggle with active addiction. I view this connection stuff as issues to work on when couples are in recovery adn they are working on healing the damage to the marriage.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  8. Everyone is talking about attachment theory lately. I need to check these books out!

    ReplyDelete